Monday, February 13, 2012

Our Interview with HC Hammond!

Image of HC Hammond                                 Flesheaters and Bloodsuckers Anonymous


Bio

HC Hammond is a fiction writer living in Northern Ohio. She released the first book in a planned supernatural trilogy called, "Flesheaters and Bloodsuckers Anonymous." Currently, she's working on a sequel and another science fiction book about life on the moon. Visit her <a href="http://www.febsbook.blogspot.com">blog</a> for regular updates.
                                                 Bio provided by author



We had the opportunity to meet HC through Kindle Direct Publishing and found her to be quite the author! In the time it took me to send her the interview and send it to her, she had finished a new book! So please get comfortable and give a warm welcome to our guest for today, H.C.!
 
1. What makes for a good hook in your stories? Where does your inspiration come from?
It sounds a little cliche, but I get inspiration from everything around me. I never really know what will cause a story idea to pop into my head. Usually, I'm just going about my day, thinking idly and something will be interesting enough to get stuck in my brain. It doesn't take long before my imagination is playing with it.
 2. Are you an organized writer? Do you do things like take notes and make lists of characters? Or do you free write and work it out as you go?
No, I'm not as organized as I should be, but that's changing. Mistress of the Bubble Wrap started out as an assignment for one of my college courses. I just wrote it off the cuff and polished it up through rounds of workshops.
My novel, Flesheaters and Bloodsuckers Anonymous, started out as a NANOWRIMO project and had no prep whatsoever. I just wanted to write a story about a vampire in rehab. It took five years to finally get it written and ready for publication. The next book will definitely have a plot and characters beforehand.
 3. What is your normal writing day like? Do you write when you are inspired or do you have a schedule?
Most of the time, I write when I feel like it... or when I have a deadline. The only rule is to try to write every day when actively working on a new manuscript.
 4. Who is your favorite author and how did they inspire you to write?
So many authors, so little time. It's hard to pick just one writer for this question. As a kid, I devoured hundreds of science fiction, fantasy, horror and supernatural novels. All of that reading really saturated my mind in various writing, characterization, plot and world building techniques.
The ones that stick out in my mind are Stephen King, Isaac Asimov, Jules Verne, Jean M. Auel, Anne McCaffrey, JK Rowling, Robert a Heinlein, and Dean Koontz.
 5. It’s easy to see that you have a passion for writing but is there any part of it you don’t like?
It takes a long time to see a project through to the end. That can be frustrating, and require a lot of persistence to see a few hundred words here and there eventually add up to a story or book.

6. Do you make time to read and if you do what are you reading right now?
I bought a kindle and I'm familiarizing myself with some of the other indie authors on Amazon. James Coyle, Ben Guilfoy, Stephen Livingston and a collective work titled, Symbios by Kilborn, Kimball and Konrath are all on my kindle.
Also, I downloaded a bunch of old science fiction magazines from Project Gutenberg and plan on tearing through them.
 7. How did you get into writing in these genres? Is there personal life experience in the writing?
Well, I read a lot of science fiction and romance as a kid, so these two genres come naturally to me. I hope there isn't a lot of real life experience in the vampire novel, although, I have been accused of being a night owl.

8. Your books have been published with Amazon.com, Does this mean you see the publishing industry headed this way?
These new, smaller, handheld devices from Amazon and Apple just make it so easy for people to download and view any kind of content. Anyone using these will end up buying something in the written word, be it fiction or non-fiction or other. It's opened up the content market to a lot of writers.
I think that publishers will have to start marketing more and more of their books as ebooks to keep up with their target audience. Though, print books are probably going to be around for a long time.
 
9. Do you have any online sites where others can read more of your writings?
I have a blog at: Febsbook.blogspot.com. On it is a page called, Works, that will direct readers to some other stuff I have online and off.
At Smashwords.com I currently have, Remington Witch, available for free.

10. Do you have any more stories in the works? What kinds of stories do you plan to write next?
I have a backlog of literary short stories that may end up in an ebook of collected works or elsewhere. I'm also planning the sequel to Flesheaters and Bloodsuckers Anonymous, which follows Harold as he strikes out for parts unknown.

11. Who would be your first choice to play the young woman with all the fantasies of her boss in "Mistress of the Bubble Wrap"?
Reese Witherspoon. I could see her playing an unstable employee who sneaks into her employer's house at night.
 12. If you could meet anyone from any time who would it be and what would be your first question?
God. Why?

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for stopping by and visitng our page!